Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'd Tap that.....

It is time for a lesson about food. Yay. Today Teacher El is going to school you on Maple Syrup. Mmmmmm

Maple syrup is made from the sap of Maple trees. Trees most commonly tapped for sap collection are Sugar Maple, Black Maple, Red Maple, and Silver Maple. Maple sap becomes maple syrup at the moment when its concentration of sugar reaches 66% which is doing through heating the sap to condense the sticky fluid. It is a interesting process, so if you want more info wiki it. Vermont is the biggest U.S. producer, Canada being the biggest producer in the northwest hemisphere. Although I know of a few small Maple Syrup producing areas in Illinois, so if you are really curious to see how it is made, you don't have to go far to find out for my local peeps.

Now When I say Maple Syrup, I don't mean "maple flavored syrup" that most families use on there pancakes or waffles, but the real, honest to goodness amber goodness that is real maple syrup. Sorry Aunt Jemima, but you are not allowed in my house! If a syrup isn't pure Maple, by law it an only call it self a "pancake syrup". Yes, I realize I am a syrup snob.

Real Maple syrup can be different depending on the "grade". Maple syrup is divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further broken down into three subgrades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber. Grade B is darker than Grade A Dark Amber. The dark grades of syrup are primarily used for cooking and baking.

I think most people view maple syrup as just a topping for pancakes and waffles, but there are so many more yummy ways to use this ingredient.

I love adding Maple Syrup to butter and whip it up for fresh biscuits.
Using Maple syrup in making baked beans gives it a sweet flavor that will leave people guessing.
I also love it paired with sweet potatoes like mashed, baked, or in a sweet potato mousse.
Maple-Cinnamon Doughnuts are simply too good and scream autumn for me.
Maple cream candies are also yummy, and maple cheesecake is really good, it has that sweet, but not too sweet quality to it.
Maple can also be used as a secret ingredient in BBQ sauces.
Maple pairs well with pork (maple glazed ham), chocolate, even some mild cheeses. I once had a maple mustard that was awesome with cheese and crackers.

A quick treat that is great for a Sunday Football watching is to bake up some chocolate cupcakes and top with vanilla and maple syrup frosting. Just get some cupcake/cake mix, bake as directed, then add maple syrup to some pre-made vanilla frosting to taste. Extra points if you top that with crumbled bacon!

Anyways, I hope that you might look at Maple Syrup as just more than a topping on your pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment