Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I am on the Magic Fuckin Q

So being sick and trying to dope my ass up so I can breathe, not puke, stop the pain and itching is causing my insomnia to be even worse, so now I am just loopy and sick, so what could be better than writing and sharing my thoughts with you than now!

A few months ago while on vacation I got into a discussion with my sis-in-law Jen about Linguistics and the English language. (Yes we are that much of geeks we talked about this on vacation) Words have a funny way of evolving and being used in different context than originally thought of.


Anyways, I was dicking around online and I saw something about Poison Ivy the comic book character, which was odd since I was actually looking up possible arms shipments and pirating in the news, but I digress. That made me think how Poison Ivy can conjure sexy images and what not, but you would never here a superhero or slut be called Poison Sumac, it just doesn't sound pleasant to the ears. Kinda like how masculine names tend to have hard consonants in them like Max, Jack, and Cocksucker.


Luckily we speak a language that doesn't divide words into gender categories, like the romance languages, but we still tend to think of words along some gender lines. Example Fart and Souffle, Fart tends to be a more male word, while Souffle foels more feminine. Sometimes crude words are thought to be more masculine, and almost taboo in the mouths of women, as I have learned through the years. You don't see many women making scrapbook pages with sticker words like beer guzzling, fart jokes, and ass-grabber, unless it is my scrapbook, then add words like Penis sculptures, Drunk Twister, and Living in Sin.

While I agree some words are uncouth in certain social settings, a tailgate is not one of those, but I still know of some women who view my un-polite conversations as just wrong. I can be miss priss queen of the southern cotillion when the need arises, but that doesn't mean that I should censor my mouth at my own home during a football game.

Wow-did I just make a blog about words that devolved into gender lines? Where is my fuckin NyQuil, cough drops, and aleve? Am I wearing pants? Jump on El's thought train, we only derail every 30 seconds-Choo Choo!

No comments:

Post a Comment